Part of your job as a parent is to help your children learn to make wise choices. This is not always easy for you or for them, because, even as adults, we still make poor decisions. Many parents think that you should make all your children’s decisions for them. The problem with that method is these children will go to their peers and to get their opinions…which usually leads to them to making very poor choices.
Because children are impulsive and make choices before they thoroughly think through the consequences, it is important to teach them how to make right choices.
Here are a few tips which could help you as you teach your children to make right choices for themselves.
• Instruct him to carefully think through his choice before he makes a quick decision.
• Sit down one on one with your child and discuss his options before he makes the decision.
• Use God’s Word to discuss the outcomes of both decisions.
• Pray with your child asking the Lord to give him wisdom to make the right choice.
• Encourage your child to always pray before he makes a choice about a decision he is facing.
• Hold your child responsible for his poor choices. If you bail him when he makes a poor choice, he will learn that there are no consequences for the bad choices he makes.