My husband wrote these suggestions last summer when our pastor asked him to think of some ways that his Sunday school teachers could better communicate with their students. Because I thought they were such great suggestions, I wanted to share them with you.
Below are a few suggestions that I thought might help your Sunday school teachers to more effectively “shepherd” their flocks.
1. Send them cards; birthday; friendship, encouragement, etc.
2. Visit THEIR school programs.
3. Take their pictures and post them in classroom.
4. Have students go on visitation with teachers to visit other students.
5. Have a birthday party once a month and celebrate the ones who had a birthday that month. Parties could be at church, at home, or at pizza parlor.
6. Get Treasure Path to Soul Winning or take portions from Proverbs and encourage students to MEMORIZE the Scriptures. You could then allow the students to quote the Scriptures in services and reward them for their achievements.
8. Call them each week just to keep in touch with them.
9. Ask them to help straighten up your class area before and/or after class; reward them for their efforts.
10. Remember Time = LOVE.
11. Take them to the park for a picnic.
12. Let the achievers decorate your class room as a reward/incentive.
Sunday School teachers have the opportunity to be the GREATEST INFLUENCE in a child’s life outside of their own parents. Remember you can give without loving, but you cannot love without giving.
I hope this helps!