Deborah was a judge of Israel who God chose to serve His people at a challenging time.
We, as Christian women leaders, can learn a lot about leading other women by studying the life of Deborah.
She reflected many of the leadership qualities of the Proverbs 31 woman. She served with honor, strength, and dignity.
1. Judges 4:1-4 Deborah was courageous. She was called by God to lead at a difficult time. Deborah stepped forward with bravery in obedience to God to lead the Israelites in times of challenge and oppression.
2. Judges 4:5 Deborah served with wisdom. She exhibited great listening skills, which were evident in her obedience to God. Deborah listened well, and when she spoke, she added value due to her wisdom.
3. Judges 4:6-7 Deborah supported the people God called to lead. She encouraged Barak and acknowledged his role in leading the Israelites to victory. Deborah’s confidence in God’s power gave the Israelites assurance God was with them.
4. Judges 4:8 Deborah was trusted. She earned her position due to her belief and faith in God. Her strong faith earned her the respect of the people, which allowed her to influence and motivate Barak and his men.
5. Judges 4:9 Deborah was direct. She spoke the Word of God, and made it clear to the Israelites.
6. Judges 4:14 Deborah was confident. She placed her confidence in God. She never hesitated to fulfill God’s commands. It was her reassurance and strong beliefs that led the Israelites to victory.
7. Judges 5:1-3 Deborah was humble. She gave praise and glory to God because the victory was God’s. Deborah and Barak sang a song of thanksgiving and praise to God and the followers. Israel had peace for forty years due to their belief and obedience.