I have heard dedicated Christian parents say, “We started praying for our child’s future mate the day that we brought our child home from the hospital.” I have to say, “Praise the Lord for godly parents who take their responsibility so serious that they spend hours praying for their children’s future mates.”
Here are a few suggestions you might include in your prayers as you begin praying for your children’s future mates.
1. Help (him/her) to remain pure and chaste until (his/her) wedding date.
2. Help (him/her) to grow up to be a mature Christian who will encourage my child toward spiritual values.
3. Help (him/her) to understand the basics of spiritual warfare; how to flee temptation, how to take thoughts captive, and how to stand firm against the devil’s false lies of love. Please protect his eyes from pornography.
4. Help (him/her) to master good, uplifting communication. Protect him from using God’s name in vain or any other foul language.
5. Help this child to have godly parents who will teach (him/her) good parenting skills and will be a godly role model to (him/her).
6. Help (him/her) to have a hunger for God. Encourage (him/her) to have (his/her) own personal prayer, Bible study, and relationship with the Lord.
7. Help (him/her) to have a commitment to always be truthful and honest through every situation of (his/her) life.
8. Help (him/her) to have a proper attitude toward money. Help (him/her) to be honest with others and with the Lord.
9. Help (him/her) to be a considerate and sensitive person.
10. Help (him/her) not to be selfish. Help (him/her) to be a giving and loving Christian who places the needs of others before (his/her) own needs or wants.