Memorizing the Word of God makes it instantly accessible in every situation and for every need.
1. Memorizing Scripture IS SPECIFICALLY COMMANDED BY GOD: “And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children . . .” (Deut. 6:6-7). “. . . lay up his words in thine heart.” (Job 22:22).
2. Memorizing Scripture ENLIGHTENS DARKENED HEARTS: “And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.” (II Tim. 3:15). The word burns and smites (Jer. 23:29), pierces and discovers (Heb. 4:12).
3. Memorizing Scripture INFUSES CONVICTION on the standard of values and righteousness as being absolute and unchanging: “Therefore I esteem all thy precepts concerning all things to be right; and I hate every false way.” (Psa. 119:128). Also Isa. 55:8-9.
4. Memorizing Scripture RESTORES BROKEN LIVES: “He sent his word, and healed them, and delivered them from their destructions.” (Psa. 107:20).
5. Memorizing Scripture HELPS SPIRITUAL GROWTH: “As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:” (I Pet. 2:2). Scripture is “strong meat” for those who go on to Christian maturity (Heb. 5:12).
6. Memorizing Scripture MAKES FOR AN EFFECTUAL PRAYER LIFE: “If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.” (John 15:7).
7. Memorizing Scripture MOTIVATES SPONTANEOUS WITNESSING: “Then I said, I will not make mention of him, nor speak any more in his name. But his word was in mine heart as a burning fire shut up in my bones, and I was weary with forbearing, and I could not stay.” (Jer. 20:9).
8. Memorizing Scripture PROMOTES FRUITFULNESS: “But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience.” (Luke 8:15).
9. Memorizing Scripture MAKES CONTINUAL MEDITATION POSSIBLE: “But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.” (Psa. 1:2).
10. Memorizing Scripture AFFORDS COMFORT AND STRENGTH IN TIME OF TROUBLE: “Unless thy law had been my delights, I should then have perished in mine affliction.” (Psa. 119:92).
11. Memorizing Scripture GUARDS AGAINST SIN: “Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.” (Psa. 119:11)
12. Memorizing Scripture PROVIDES WISDOM AND GUIDANCE FOR DAILY LIVING: “The wise men are ashamed, they are dismayed and taken: lo, they have rejected the word of the LORD; and what wisdom is in them?” (Jer. 8:9). Also James 3:17.
13. Memorizing Scripture EQUIPS FOR SPIRITUAL WARFARE: The covering of truth, the breastplate of righteousness, the shield of faith, the helmet of salvation, the sword of the Spirit. (Eph. 6:11-17).
14. Memorizing Scripture IS EXEMPLIFIED BY CHRIST: When tempted by the devil, He said, “It is written,” and then gave the Scripture.